Sunday 5 August 2012

Broccoli Macaroni Cheezze And A Trip To The Beach!



I asked the people who follow me on Facebook what recipes they would like to see on the blog and one lady said she wanted to know how to make Macaroni Cheezze or as we call it in our house Cheezy Pasta! So I thought I would share my version! We love this meal and it works out to be a really quick last minute meal to make! I use whole wheat brown pasta but sometimes we have white pasta and of course you can use it's namesake Macaroni pasta! I love a bit of green in my cheezy pasta as A) I like to pack in as much veg as possible into my diet and B) I think it gives a nice contrast and brakes up the cheezyness of the dish!
If I am feeling like time is on my side, I pop the completed cheezy pasta into an oven proof dish and top it with breadcrumbs drizzled in olive oil and pop it in the oven for 15 to 20mins to make it even more indulgent!

Ingredients:

3 Cups of Penne Whole Wheat Pasta
1 Small Head of Broccoli chopped into florets (use the softer end of the stork too as it is yummy! Just chop it up into cubes)
1 Carton of Silken Tofu
3/4 Cup of Nutritional Yeast Flakes
2 Tsp of Dark Miso Paste
1 Tsp of Mustard (Colmans Mustard of Course!)
Juice of Half a Lemon
2 Cloves of Garlic
3 Sundried Tomatoes
A Lightly Packed 1/2 Cup of Parsley

Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add your pasta. Cook it for as long as the packet says as all pastas vary in their cooking time! While it is cooking, pop the Tofu, nutritional yeast, miso, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, sundried tomatoes and parsley in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Check the seasoning. Does it need more miso to make it saltier? Does it need more lemon juice to make it tangier? Season to your taste as it is your dish! Once the pasta is 5mins away from being cooked add the broccoli to the pan, it will literally take 5 mins to cook but will still have a great crunch! Drain the pasta and broccoli thoroughly and pop it back in the pan. Then spoon over the cheezy sauce! Serve immediately with salad or crusty bread! As I said in the intro if I am feeling like time is on my side, I pop the completed cheezy pasta into an oven proof dish and top it with breadcrumbs drizzled in olive oil and pop it in the oven for 15 to 20mins to make it even more indulgent! Enjoy!

Yesterday was the my first Saturday off in ages so we decided to take a trip to Southwold and have a picnic on the beach! It was a little cool and breezy but it managed to keep dry! Well, until we drove home and were caught in a rainstorm that was so bad we had to drive at 25mph on a 60mph road and couldn't see anything but the car lights coming towards us! Very scary!!! But apart from that we had a lovely time eating sandwiches, strawberries and paddling our toes!



Looking for sea glass 





A little choppy on the pier!

The scary rainstorm we drove home in!

No comments:

Post a Comment